Where People Are Reading From

Sunday, August 8, 2010

And arriba's ensued

Last weekend's mexican fiesta was a petrece (party) for all petreci (parties).  I think at least that's how you make that word plural.  My eyes welled with my first bite into that burrito.  It also fell apart with my first bite, so that too could be the cause of the tears in my eyes.  I guess I was a bit too ambitious with the size of my burrito for the homemade tortilla.

On our way to the other village we had to first travel to the capital, Chișinău, so we decided to stop off at the piaƫă - where we found avocados! along with everything else necessary for guacamole.  Yes, yes, YES we made the most delicious, with a bit a of a kick guacamole - I might even say it -  I have ever had.  We ate, drank house wine, and danced.  We danced to American music - even that one song I think it might be called the hip hop cha cha or something like that - anyway, it was the one played at all the 'hoop dances' that told you what to do, "now slide to the left, stomp one time..." it was great.  We also, of course because no party in moldova is complete with out doing at least three different versions, danced the hora.  I affectionately called one version the Hora bunny hop, because it resembled the bunny hop, just with a couple extra steps.  Any who, lots of hora'n it up.  Then sleeping in a sunflower field.  


The next day a few of us ventured back into Chișinău, where we strolled around the piaƫă again, I bought q-tips, a hand fan (which is just precious, I might add) and some kiwis to bring back to my host family.  We at pizza, I had pineapple (anăs) on mine.  Then when headed to peace corps headquarters.  At headquarters there is a big library where you can exchange books and movies, computers for people to use, free printing, and SHOWERS.  So I showered.  Nothing has ever felt better than standing in cold water while it pours DOWN on you, so much better than when I cup and splash upwards toward myself while squatting in a bucket.  Not that I mind, I kind of like my bucket now, just its a whole different world when it comes from above.  After experiencing bliss, I cleaned my ears with the before mentioned q-tips.


We parted ways with the other village's volunteers and caught a rutiera back to Răzeni, enjoying the view of the country from the steam dripping windows while eating 1 lei (about 7 cent) ice cream.  I have really become quite fond of this ice cream as it comes in its own plain style cone.  Also, recently it has been reaching almost 40 degrees celsius, which is roughly 104 degrees fahrenheit, I think.  Lets just say I sweat in my sleep.


Probably more importantly, I met my future partner teacher!  She came down from my future village to Răzeni to co-teach the 11th grade class with me.  For the real school year I will co-teach classes with her (Natalia), my other partner teacher (Veorica - who is also the director of the school), and will have one class I teach alone.  But, she is awesome!  She is 25 and super hip.  Much hipper than I am.  I'm not sure, maybe its her high heels verse my chacos.  We have now been working everyday together for 4 days - and she has already invited me to her house (which is in a neighboring village) and to her wedding in October!  She also told me she was very nervous coming to work with me, but now she is very happy.  I think we hit it off pretty well.  I am super stoked to work with her and my other partner this school year.  I also have the feeling she will be only friend in my new village for a while - and by a while I mean that she may be the only other person between the ages of 18 and 40.  Typical for villages in Moldova.


I have this week left of teaching, on friday the volunteers are throwing a party for all the kids that came to practice school.  We'll be playing "american"  games- as in frisbee and football, because that is all we have with us- probably some soccer, a waterballoon toss, there is even talk of a cake walk.  It should be pretty fun.  A key word we hear all the time from peace corps is "community integration" as in the more we become a member of the community the safer and more effective we are.  We're thinking this party will definitely integrate us with the chit'lins of Moldova - or at least Răzeni.


Then on Saturday we have our "la revedera masa" (goodbye party) for all our host families and friends in our village.  We are to prepare American food.  Today in Chișinău we visited a supermarket that took the super to a whole new level.  Guess what I found there....well lots, but Teriyaki sauce!  So, guess who's make'n stir fry for the masa!  It may not be totally american, but it's what I ate in america at least 3 nights a week! Holla!


To continue, at the farewell party we will also perform our 3 traditional moldovan dances that we have been preparing, as well as singing a traditional moldovan song.  We have been practicing it so devoutly, that other volunteers practiced their singing in the streets of Chișinău on their way back from the disco at 3 am, while having guest singers join them, all the way down the street.  I believe someone has a video camera, so don't worry I will share the video of us dancing and singing, while in traditional moldovan clothes.


So now for pictures... This is me and my 7th grade class on our last day of practice school
This is how my little brother beat the heat...



And this is my little neighbor eating the sunflower seeds straight from the flower we just picked after visiting a gigantic sunflower field - I went for the flower the size of my head, I told her we could find one the size of her head too, but she liked this one I guess...





Also, today while trying to get home from Chișinău I boarded the wrong rutiera and ended up at the airport.  This little excursion, getting back, finding the correct rutiera, and walking a great distance took me a little more than 2 hours...in very full, very hot, rutieras.  I think I will be bucketing myself again tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    I loved seeing the photos of your 7th graders. Wow, what an experience: I'm envious...even of your bucket shower!
    Aunt Marcia

    ReplyDelete